Stand Up To Cancer Chief Development Officer
The Aspen Leadership Group is proud to partner with Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C) in the search for a Chief Development Officer.
The Stand Up To Cancer Chief Development Officer will be responsible for the strategic direction and development of a fundraising strategy that cultivates revenue streams while furthering SU2C’s mission and goals through major gifts, corporate development, planned giving, and the development of new fundraising approaches. The Chief Development Officer will foster a culture of philanthropy while ensuring that SU2C’s culture, systems, and procedures support fund development and encourage cooperation and cross-functional collaboration that drive the accomplishment of fundraising goals and organizational efficiency. The Chief Development Officer will design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances and partnerships by cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding philanthropic support from corporations, foundations, and individuals.
The Chief Development Officer will plan, coordinate, and implement strategies that inspire donors and increase contributions to support SU2C. The Chief Development Officer will expand and diversify SU2C’s existing donor base and pipeline to secure funding for existing and new initiatives and will develop and maintain the infrastructure and appropriate systems necessary to ensure long-term growth and stability, including, but not limited to, donor management, research and cultivation, gift processing, and donor recognition.
Stand Up To Cancer’s mission is to raise funds to accelerate the pace of groundbreaking translational research that can get new therapies to patients quickly and save lives now. SU2C brings together the best and the brightest researchers and mandates collaboration among the cancer community. By galvanizing the entertainment industry, SU2C has set out to generate awareness, educate the public on cancer prevention, and help more people diagnosed with cancer become long-term survivors. Stand Up To Cancer is a division of the Entertainment Industry Foundation, a 501(c)(3) California nonprofit organization that has, since its establishment in 1942, raised over $1B for charity.
Work with and report to SU2C’s President and CEO in:
- fulfilling SU2C’s management and reporting responsibilities to the Board of Directors and all its advisory committees;
- ensuring the success of SU2C’s philanthropic vision and scientific mission;
- executing SU2C’s business strategy and plan in donor development and fundraising.
Manage SU2C’s Donor Development and Fundraising effectiveness and efficiency by:
- executing SU2C’s day-to-day and long-term performance of SU2C’s donor development and fundraising resources and initiatives;
- developing an effective development and fundraising plan to support SU2C’s strategy, business plan, and outcome performance goals and metrics, including market research and ongoing review and comparison with industry performance benchmarks and best practices;
- collaborating with SU2C’s Science, Marketing, and other departmental executives to resolve issues that challenge the success of achieving SU2C’s revenue goals;
- maintaining all donor development assets, materials, donor records, and fundraising performance reports;
- implementing donor cultivation, acknowledgment, and recognition programs;
- overseeing budget development and reporting for SU2C’s Donor Development and Fundraising department;
- complying with all relevant regulations, laws, and governing standards for ethics, accountability, and professional conduct for fundraising executives.
Maintain SU2C’s reputation for leadership in funding innovative translational cancer research by:
- staying abreast of development and fundraising activities in cancer research and the non-profit sectors to proactively take advantage of emerging industry trends;
- developing revenue opportunities in collaboration with other philanthropic organizations, corporate giving, and government entities.
COMPETENCIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
SU2C seeks a Chief Development Officer with:
- a commitment to SU2C’s mission — to raise funds to accelerate the pace of groundbreaking translational research that can deliver new therapies to patients quickly and save lives now;
- fundraising acumen distinguished by personally securing substantial gifts from leading donors to organizations focused on healthcare and/or cancer research;
- an ability to build productive relationships within the pharmaceutical industry and healthcare sector as well as public and private foundations that fund cancer research;
- experience planning and implementing fundraising and donor programs that expand and enhance donor relationships over time;
- comprehensive management skills and fundraising experience, including, but not limited to, short- and long-term planning, evaluation, direction and motivation of staff, oral and written communication, donor and financial management, organizational behavior, and governance;
- an ability to establish and maintain productive professional relationships with the President and CEO, staff, governing board, fundraisers, and donors;
- knowledge of and experience in the nature and dimensions of philanthropy, ethics, motivations for giving and volunteering, research and cultivation practices, and standard fundraising techniques, including face-to-face solicitation, proposal writing, special events, gift processing, prospect and donor histories, and fundraising reporting;
- tenacity, determination, and comfort with change as well as the ability to grow and evolve a culture of philanthropy within the organization;
- an ability to handle detailed, complex concepts and problems and make rapid decisions regarding funding and donor development issues;
- adherence to the highest ethical standards in management, governance, and fundraising;
- a professional and positive image and attitude regarding the organization and the not-for-profit sector;
- a commitment to continued professional growth and development for oneself and the team;
- strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to be highly task oriented;
- an ability to work independently, creatively, efficiently, and cooperatively in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment while maintaining extreme attention to detail and focus as the job and situations demand;
- an ability to listen actively and to communicate effectively (both orally and in writing), persuasively, and with confidence; and
- a personable, approachable style with an ability to build relationships and trust with colleagues and management, to work within a team, and establish strong working relationships with individuals of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
A bachelor’s degree is required for this position as is at least ten years of fundraising experience in healthcare or pharmaceutical philanthropy with significant experience leading teams and managing staff performance to achieve record-breaking results. Experience with the National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, health care systems, and related federal and state agencies is desired as is familiarity with entertainment industry philanthropy.
SALARY & BENEFITS
SU2C offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive package of benefits.
The Chief Development Officer may work remotely from any location with access to an international airport. Frequent travel to Los Angeles will be necessary.
All applications must be accompanied by a cover letter and résumé. Cover letters should be responsive to the mission of Stand Up To Cancer as well as the responsibilities and qualifications presented above. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the successful candidate has been selected.
Entertainment Industry Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. It considers applicants for all positions without regard to age (40 or older), ancestry, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), disability (either mental or physical, including HIV and AIDS), cancer, genetic characteristics, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status, national origin (including language use restrictions), race, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To apply for this position, visit: Chief Development Officer, Stand Up To Cancer.
All inquiries will be held in confidence